Welcome to volleyball.com. We carry a complete line volleyball apparel.  Volleyball.com has socks, jerseys, shorts, compression, warmups, motivational t-shirts, team apparel, and referee apparel. From the serious weekend player to the most dedicated coach, volleyball.com has all the best products and information to enhance your game.
Volleyball.Com: volleyball equipment, clothes, shoes and rules for beach, indoor, pictures, camps, court products, nets and leagues.
Volleyball.Com - Browse through Stories and Tips, Volleyball Drills, Rules of Volleyball, Enhance you skills, Learn new strategies, Training Techniques, Sports Injuries, Build a Court, Learn the Terms, History of Volleyball, Photo Gallery, Calendar of Events, Polls, News Mailing, Slime Volleyball, Flash Volleyball, Volleyball Gifts
Volleyball.Com Home Page Volleyball.Com Site Map Volleyball.Com - FREE volleyball.com email address Shop Volleyball Equipment - Balls, Nets, Shoes, Pads, Socks and more!
We carry a complete line of both indoor and outdoor gear. From the serious weekend player to the most dedicated coach, volleyball.com has all the best products and information to enhance your game.

Get all your volleyball gear, volleyball shoes, volleyball socks, volleyball shirts, volleyball shorts, volleyball equipment and volleyballs at Volleyball.Com
Volleyball.Com on Facebook

Username:
Password:

Forum.Volleyball.Com >> Main Forums >> Strategies & Techniques >> Volleyball Play (Hand) Signals
Volleyball Play (Hand) Signals
Author Topic
maeyks

Posted: 10/25/2010 10:23:41 AM

hi there, I would like to ask if hand signals (signaling a play by a player to her setter) are somewhat standard in the game of volleyball?

I see sometimes a thumb's up sign, an "L" signal using the thumb and index finger, sometimes the thumb and the pinky finger is spread out with the remaining fingers closed, and sometimes using both hands...

I would just like to know. :D

maeyks

Ezra

Very Active Member

Posted: 10/29/2010 7:11:25 PM

Every hit in volleyball has some form of hand signal attached to it, obviously so that the other doesn't know what you are about to run. I'm pretty sure that most places are different in what they call, but the three signals you describe are:

- thumbs up sign - A ball (short quick through the middle)
- L signal - B ball (longer quick set, drifts 1 metre away from setter)
- thumb and pinky - Pipe (back court middle attack)
sprouticus

Posted: 11/3/2010 10:05:38 PM

I think it's really interesting that there are different interpretations of the same hand signals. In my experience (indoor mostly in the US, some in the UK), I haven't ever seen a thumbs up signal for a play. The other common signals I know are:

- forefinger extended - as in the #1 = quick set for middle hitter right by the setter
- "L" signal = shoot set - a low, flat set all the way to the antenna that will be hit be the outside hitter
- thumb and pinky = slide - a lower right side set to be attacked by the middle hitter, usually when there is no right side hitter.
- pink extended - short quick set to be attacked by either the middle or right side player directly behind the setter
- thumb and forefinger together with the other three fingers extended = 31 set, a relatively low/flat set in between the middle and outside hitters that may be attacked by either the left side or middle hitter.

www.volleyball-life.com
Serve. Pass. Set. Hit. Life.
schmooot

Posted: 11/16/2010 2:16:42 PM

When I set a thumbs up is a backrow pipe...sometimes a fist pound is used as well to convey the same call. It realle depends on your setter and how he was taught.....I've made up symbols for my hitters too when none of us knew the sign to use
Ezra

Very Active Member

Posted: 11/20/2010 3:15:33 PM

Yeah agree with that Sprouticus, even here in Australia the codes and calls can differ within 100kilometers lol... we base ours on what the national team uses and like you said, each country will be different otherwise it'd just be boring...

Home  |  Shop Volleyball.Com  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  News  |  Links  |  Volleyball Products  |  Free Email  |  Forums  |  Contact Us Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
© Copyright 2011. Volleyball.Com. All rights reserved.