Welcome to volleyball.com. We carry a complete line volleyball apparel.  Volleyball.com has socks, jerseys, shorts, compression, warmups, motivational t-shirts, team apparel, and referee apparel. From the serious weekend player to the most dedicated coach, volleyball.com has all the best products and information to enhance your game.
Volleyball.Com: volleyball equipment, clothes, shoes and rules for beach, indoor, pictures, camps, court products, nets and leagues.
Volleyball.Com - Browse through Stories and Tips, Volleyball Drills, Rules of Volleyball, Enhance you skills, Learn new strategies, Training Techniques, Sports Injuries, Build a Court, Learn the Terms, History of Volleyball, Photo Gallery, Calendar of Events, Polls, News Mailing, Slime Volleyball, Flash Volleyball, Volleyball Gifts
Volleyball.Com Home Page Volleyball.Com Site Map Volleyball.Com - FREE volleyball.com email address Shop Volleyball Equipment - Balls, Nets, Shoes, Pads, Socks and more!
We carry a complete line of both indoor and outdoor gear. From the serious weekend player to the most dedicated coach, volleyball.com has all the best products and information to enhance your game.

Get all your volleyball gear, volleyball shoes, volleyball socks, volleyball shirts, volleyball shorts, volleyball equipment and volleyballs at Volleyball.Com
Volleyball.Com on Facebook

Username:
Password:

Forum.Volleyball.Com >> Main Forums >> Rules of Volleyball >> Substitutions- I feel stupid
Substitutions- I feel stupid
Author Topic
Nicky

Posted: 9/13/2009 2:10:17 PM

Hi- I have just gotten back into the swing of things after a long hiatus and have gotten confused about some substitution patterns I am seeing. When I played club ball (way back in the day) I would swear that we were restricted in our substitions to subbing back and forth between 2 players. For example 6/8/6/8/6/8/ and so on. I am now seeing different patterns like 3/11/5/7/9...meaning 11 in for 3, then 5 in for 11, then 7 in for 5 and so on. What is happening here? what did I miss? I have looked at the rule-book and can't quite interpret the rule in such a way that this subbing pattern makes sense. Thanks for the help.

TomHouser

Posted: 9/18/2009 3:03:19 PM

I've been coaching & reffing under the National Federation rule book since 1985. The situations you have described are legal and have not changed since then.

The subbing pattern of 3/5/3/5/3/5 is still legal. Yet, the subbing pattern of 3/4/5/6/7/8 is also legal. Always has been. The coach must remember that all six of those players can only play in that one spot. And if Coach tries to put one of them in for #9, then she's in trouble.

I believe that the USAV and NCAA rule books are the same as the NF with this situation. I'm not sure about FIVB.

Coach Tom Houser
Director, STAR Volleyball Site Camps.
Author "I Can't Wait" Drill Collection and Ebooks
Head Coach, NRV 16 Nationals, Roanoke, Va
http://www.coachhouser.com
lanceich

Posted: 9/20/2009 8:55:56 PM

Nicky, I was going over that yesterday and my memory goes along your thinking... I remember the substitution pattern being 6/8/6/8/6/8 as well...I don't know if that comes from playing high school volleyball in 1979 which would pre-date TomHouser's post (which was an excellent post and I assume the sub pattern can also be 3/4/5/4/7/5 where players can be subbed in any order and have the ability to come back in, in any order, yes?)...out of curiosity, does anyone else out there know if there ever was a rule that substitutions had to be 6/8/6/8/6/8?
Thanks for any feedback!
Ezra

Very Active Member

Posted: 9/24/2009 6:14:55 AM

not sure about the straight swap, that may have been when rally point scoring was still around. But with the 12 sub rule, you can have group substitutions through the one position. so it can go 3/5/11/7/8/3/9 etc as long as none of the players have been on the court before in a different substitution.
Mozie

Posted: 10/5/2009 10:45:57 AM

The rules must be different in Canada. Up here, you can only do the 6/8/6/8/... subbing at both school and club matches. Also, during last year's club season you were only allowed to do 6/8/6 and then 6 had to stay on for the rest of the set. They were trying to stop coaches from only playing certain players in the front or back court.

However, at lower levels such as under-12, we do a full bench rotation. The server comes out every rotation and a new person from the bench goes into position 6.

Home  |  Shop Volleyball.Com  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  News  |  Links  |  Volleyball Products  |  Free Email  |  Forums  |  Contact Us Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
© Copyright 2011. Volleyball.Com. All rights reserved.